Peer-reviewed medical journal articles on cluster headache and related conditions.
We have tried to link directly to PDF copies of articles where available for online viewing or download. In some cases, links may be directed to the Abstract only. These articles may require a subscription or one-time purchase in order to access to the journal article. Fees vary. For free or low-cost access to journal articles, please visit patientAccess, PubMed Central, or SpringerLink.
CHSG is not responsible for any fees incurred nor does it receive any payment, royalty, commission, or other compensation as a result of these links.
- Cluster headache and macroprolactinoma: Case report of a rare, but potential important causality June 1, 2017While headache is not an uncommon symptom in patients suffering from pituitary adenomas, cluster headache (CH) has rarely been reported in such cases. Headache associated with hyperprolactinemia has been reported to be responsive to dopamine agonists (DA agonists) in many patients. We report on a patient with refractory CH secondary to a macroprolactinoma who showed ...
- PACAP38: Emerging Drug Target in Migraine and Cluster Headache May 9, 2017Here, we review the role of pituitary adenylate cyclase-activating peptide-38 (PACAP38) in migraine and cluster headache (CH). Mounting evidence implicates signaling molecule PACAP38 in the pathophysiology of migraine. Human provocation studies show PACAP38 induces migraine attacks in migraine patients without aura and marked and sustained dilation of extracerebral arteries.
- PACAP38: Emerging Drug Target in Migraine and Cluster Headache May 1, 2017Here, we review the role of pituitary adenylate cyclase-activating peptide-38 (PACAP38) in migraine and cluster headache (CH). Mounting evidence implicates signaling molecule PACAP38 in the pathophysiology of migraine. Human provocation studies show PACAP38 induces migraine attacks in migraine patients without aura and marked and sustained dilation of extracerebral arteries.
- Cluster headache: present and future therapy May 1, 2017Cluster headache is characterized by severe, unilateral headache attacks of orbital, supraorbital or temporal pain lasting 15–180 min accompanied by ipsilateral lacrimation, rhinorrhea and other cranial autonomic manifestations. Cluster headache attacks need fast-acting abortive agents because the pain peaks very quickly; sumatriptan injection is the gold standard acute treatment.
- Personality disorders in cluster headache: a study using the Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory-III May 1, 2017A great deal of studies suggests that cluster headache (CH) patients are usually comorbid to anxiety-mood spectrum disorders and psychopathological symptoms; however, the personality profiles reported in the literature strictly depend on type of assessment used. Psychiatric comorbidities have been extensively studied in migraine and they are recognized to represent a major risk factor associated ...
- Pathogenesis of chronic cluster headache and bouts: role of tryptamine, arginine metabolism and α1-agonists May 1, 2017The aim of this study was to explore the possible role of tryptamine in the pathogenesis of chronic cluster headache along with that of adrenaline and noradrenaline (α-agonists) together with arginine metabolism in the origin of cluster bouts.
- Tackling the perils of unawareness: the cluster headache case April 27, 2017The 21st of March 2017 has marked a remarkable collective effort to raise public awareness of cluster headache (CH). This campaign has inspired an explosion of initiatives aimed to raise awareness of this devastating, yet neglected condition to the level of other neurological disorders.
- Acceptability of Placebo in Cluster Headache Trials: A Patient Survey April 24, 2017This was an observational survey study administered to individuals over age 18 who identify themselves as having cluster headache. Patient perspectives on the use of placebo in cluster headache clinical trials were assessed using a paper-based survey. Participants were recruited during a national conference held for patients with cluster headaches (“Clusterbusters” in Austin, TX, September ...
- Macro- and microstructural alterations of the subcortical structures in episodic cluster headache April 20, 2017Previous functional and structural imaging studies have revealed that subcortical structures play a key a role in pain processing. The recurring painful episodes might trigger maladaptive plasticity or alternatively degenerative processes that might be detected by MRI as changes in size or microstructure. In the current investigation, we aimed to identify the macro- and microstructural ...
- Natural course of untreated cluster headache: A retrospective cohort study April 18, 2017There is little knowledge about the natural course of cluster headache, especially the age, pattern and characteristics of remission. We screened patients who were diagnosed with CH in Samsung Medical Center between 1997 and 2010.